Thursday, May 30, 2013

Prepping for Introduction to Statistics

I'll be teaching MTH 1210: Introduction to Statistics at Metropolitan State University of Denver this summer.

The class is a general studies course that is roughly equivalent to a high school AP Statistics course. The course curriculum is slightly different, not as many topics are covered, and has a slightly different emphasis in focus of the content. The AP Statistics course tends to require a lot more justification of the assumptions and to place less emphasis on calculation formulas.

I have been putting together materials for the course, trying to work in various investigations and inquiry problems that I gathered at the NCTM conference in April. I have 22 two hour periods to cover the material. I will be focusing on building conceptual understanding and problem solving.

I will be highlighting tasks and investigations that I try. My hope is to see how well some of the ideas I have work and then transfer them to my AP Statistics and my Inferential Probability and Statistics classes.

The class starts on June 3 and will open with looking at experimental design and sample surveys.

No comments:

Post a Comment