Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Assessing work with parallelograms

At this point, parallelograms have been worked through from a number of different perspectives. I wanted to assess informally students' understanding of parallelogram properties and the relationships of different parallelograms. The Guess My Parallelogram packet fit my needs perfectly.

Students spent the entire class working through the problems. As I walked around the class, students were having good mathematical discussions about the questions. I did have to encourage some students to refer to the quadrilateral property grid for help. There were very few questions.

One thing I liked about the problems was that it included some review of using a compass and straight edge to construct segment and angle bisectors. As we move to dilations, we'll be using a compass and straight edge to construct the image of a dilation.

Students were still working on the questions at the end of class. I asked that they finish any non-construction questions for next class. I'll give the class about 15 minutes at the start to complete any questions and constructions and to discuss their answers with their table partners. We'll then go through responses as a class.

We'll be moving on to kites and trapezoids next.

No comments:

Post a Comment