Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Starting second semester - polygon classification and quadrilateral properties

Today was the first break back from winter break and the official start of second semester. I have all the same students in class, so I was able to briefly go through reminders of rules and dive into content.

Our first unit this semester wraps up work with polygons and quadrilaterals. We'll then connect the polygon work to similarity.

To start things off, I showed students a biology classification chart. Almost all the class is taking biology this year, so it is something they are familiar with.


I mentioned how there are many different versions of these. No single version is the "right" version; they just reflect differing opinions of what to focus on when classifying organisms.

With this setting the stage, I asked students to create their own version of a classification chart for polygons. I briefly listed a few items, but not too many, as I wanted students to revisit their notes to draw out different vocabulary and topics. I had students work individually and then in groups to consolidate their work. I had several students present their work. Some focused on number of sides, some focused on side characteristics and some focused on angle structures. Students could ask questions or comment on the presented charts, although there were few questions asked or comments made. It was a good way to reengage their brains after a two and one-half week layoff.

Next, I told students we were going to spend time focused on quadrilaterals. I passed out a grid of quadrilaterals across the top and characteristics along the side. I asked students to complete the grid in pencil, anticipating that changes would need to be made as we moved through these figures. My intent is to use this as a way for students to self-assess on their knowledge and perceptions of quadrilateral properties.


I also had students draw examples of each quadrilateral on the board to verify that they knew what each figure should look like.

Next class we'll work through properties of parallelograms.

No comments:

Post a Comment