Thursday, March 3, 2016

Using ClassDojo growth mindset videos

Every Wednesday is a block day (90 minute class) for geometry. I decided to begin these classes showing videos about growth mindset. Helping instill growth mindset in students has been a school-wide initiative for the last couple of years.

ClassDojo developed five brief cartoons to communicate the ideas behind growth mindset. The first video in the series was released on January 19. A new chapter was then released each week after that. I held off starting the series immediately in case the published release schedule slipped.

The ClassDojo videos are highly entertaining and engaging. In addition, they provide valuable information about growth mindset, the power of perseverance and effort, and the benefit of learning from mistakes. My geometry students love these videos. They actually pay attention.

I have brief discussions after each video. I may ask students if they have any personal experiences that are similar to what occurred in the video or I may share a personal experience of my own. The thing that I notice is that the level of effort that students put into class and their attitude about working through problems has improved dramatically.

Sadly, we have now completed the entire ClassDojo video series. Some students suggested that we just start over again (they like the series that much). The final episode involves a failed rocket launch and the efforts to go back, to learn from the mistakes, and to try again. It reminded me of the film October Sky.

I asked my class how many had seen the movie. Only a couple of students had but agreed that the film and the video we just viewed had similarities. I am now thinking about watching October Sky in short segments and then discussing the growth and fixed mindsets exhibited during the film. I want to keep the class thinking about how facing and working through challenges can lead to personal growth and accomplishment.

If you can, check out the ClassDojo video series. They are well worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment