Tuesday, April 30, 2013

IPS - Day 54

Today students worked on putting together posters to present their chocolate experiment results. At this point, the appear to be doing a good job of setting the purpose, stating their hypotheses, and explaining their procedure. The analysis is still tending to be somewhat superficial from a statistical perspective and the conclusion is not drawing enough from the analysis.

Putting together the posters took the entire period. I have two posters from last semester that I will have students examine at the beginning of class tomorrow. I will then have students score their posters. I will modify their score based upon how accurately they have evaluated themselves. I basically take the difference between their score and my score. If they scored themselves above my score, I will subtract that difference from my score. If the score below my score, I will adjust their score to the average of their score and my score. This provides incentive for students to score their posters accurately but stay on the conservative side.

Besides scoring the posters, we will cover the idea of a bootstrap sample and begin the next investigation project.

Visit the class summary for a student's perspective and to view the lesson slide.

No comments:

Post a Comment