Monday, August 26, 2013

Starting Statistics with Generating Data

This year, I have reverted back to beginning my Inferential Probability and Statistics (a one-semester, non-AP statistics class) with data collection. After teaching an introductory college statistics course this summer, I liked how starting with experiments gets students engaged quickly.

I began this semester's course with the penny stacking experiment, as I described over the summer. It was engaging and enabled me to cover many topics of experimental design and to build understanding of vocabulary.

I will be spending time on observational studies next and then move into sample surveys. Along the way we will collect data that we can analyze. I'll use these data to work through analysis techniques and graphs.

The first week is off to a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment