Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Thoughts on the First Day of Class

Classes started and I'm off and running on another school year. I spent time reviewing grading so students understand what is expected of them.

Establishing Group Norms I also spent time on formally establishing group norms since I have students sitting in groups of three or four. I didn't go through this process last year and had issues with student behavior. By letting students set the norms and expectations of working in groups I hope to eliminate many of the poor behaviors I saw last year. My first step was to have each student write down three norms or expectations they had for working in groups. I then asked the students in their groups to come to a consensus on three norms. I then had groups share out their list and added items as we moved through the room. Once the entire list was up I asked students if there were any questions or concerns about any of the items. Finally I asked students to show their agreement by raising a thumb straight up; if there were any concerns or questions they should hold their thumb out to the side. Each class gave a thumbs up to their norms and they are now posted in the classroom.

A Safe Classroom Environment? In one class, we were discussing ideas concerning why a survey was administered. We knew the facts as to who was asked questions, the types of questions asked, but were not told why the survey was given. As the discussion was wrapping up I asked if any other students had ideas. Two students who I have had for the past two years were sitting next to each other. One student indicated that the other had an idea. I encourage this second student to share his thoughts. He said several times that he really didn't. I then told the class "There are no incorrect responses and you all should feel safe sharing your thoughts, unless you say something stupid." This elicited many laughs from the class. Nothing like getting the class off to a good start.


No comments:

Post a Comment